Monday, July 26, 2010

We're Here!

Well, as of Friday, we are official residents of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. We arrived late Friday afternoon and began the unpacking process. When we arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the paint color on all the walls was the exact same color as our house in Covington, so I knew that all of our things would match perfectly! The apartment is very small, but it works for us. It's really nice moving into a space that is brand new. I've never had all new appliances before which is wonderful!

Stephen's family braved the long trip down to help get us settled. They were a HUGE help!! Thanks to them, we have our entire apartment set up. The only thing left for us to do is hang pictures and window treatments. They stayed the weekend with us and explored the city a little bit. It was nice to become acclimated with our new surroundings with a few familiar faces.

Homesickness has set in a little bit, at least for me anyway. Reality has began to sink in that we're not just on vacation and we're going to be here for a while. However, once school starts and life starts to get busy again, I'll have a lot to keep my mind occupied. Stephen urged me to attend a women's workout class tonight at the gym. It was a lot of fun getting to meet some new people and exercise at the same time. I hope to be able to do more things like that so I can get to know people here.

Stephen started his new job today, so while he was at work, I went to survey my classroom. I met my parapro, and she kind of showed the ropes of what they usually do at Memorial. I feel a little lost because Christian curriculum is a lot different than what I have been teaching, but I think I'll catch on. The curriculum tells you word by word what to say and what to do. After I talked with my parapro today, I made the drive back to the seminary.

This was my first attempt driving around the city, so of course it was a little scary! I used the GPS to get to my school, but on the way back, I thought I didn't need it because I was just retracing my steps....WRONG! I missed my exit and ended up by the Super Dome. For those of you unfamiliar with the city of New Orleans, the Super Dome is not really anywhere near the seminary. It was quite scary, but as soon as I realized I was lost, I plugged the GPS back in and it took me where I needed to go. Needless to say, I will use the GPS from now on. At least until I get to know my way around here!


Thank you for all the prayers and support. We will need your continued prayers as we try to start our life here. It's going to be an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment